Sunday, July 03, 2011

Book excerpt: Independence Day

From Chapter 22 of "Be Brave, Be Strong: A Journey Across the Great Divide."

On July Fourth, I woke up to brilliant sunlight and crisp air. It tasted like morning in the early fall, with hints of seltzer and wood smoke. I stocked up at the last gas station in town and checked my maps for the phone number to the Pie-O-Neer café in Pie Town. I had already accepted that clinging to the hope it would be open on a national holiday was a futile at best, but I had heard entire legends formed around the pie in Pie Town. That one stop was likely my only shot at human interaction in the next 300 miles, so even a miniscule chance was certainly worth a try. Plus, I would need to restock my drinking water somehow.

At 8:30 a.m., an answering machine informed me that the café was open Wednesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. They said nothing about July Fourth specifically, but at least there was a chance they were open that day. Still, even my best-case scenarios made reaching it seem impossible. Pie Town was eighty miles away. Even if there was no mud on the road, an impossible-sounding prospect in itself, my chances of pedaling that far in just over seven hours were unlikely at best. The answering machine beeped, and without planning to, I suddenly launched into a pleading message:

“Hi, my name is Jill. I’m traveling through town on a bicycle with the Tour Divide. Perhaps you’ve seen other bikers come through. Anyway, I’m calling from Grants. It’s 8:30 a.m. Saturday. I’m going to try to make it there by four, but it’s eighty miles and with the mud, well, it’s not very likely I’ll be there before you close. I was wondering if you could leave out some kind of lunch, maybe a sandwich or something, and a piece of pie, and a gallon of water, along with a check, and I’ll leave cash. I don’t even care what it is. I pretty much just need calories at this point, calories and water. Please. I’m good for it. I have a lot of cash. My name is Jill Homer.”

I set out with determination to make the 4 p.m. deadline, come what may. As the derelict highway buildings of Grants faded behind me, a bubble of emotion expanded inside my gut. I felt a strong mixture of gratitude and love, as well as loneliness, fear, and despair. I couldn’t discern where this flood of feelings was coming from. My situation was positive, even pleasant. I was rested, well-fed, and riding on pavement within sight of a town full of people. Despite these comforts, tears started to trickle down my cheeks, which erupted into streams, which erupted into open sobbing, complete with flowing snot and phlegmy gulps of air.

Whenever endurance cyclists embark on long races, people often ask us afterward about the specific moment when we first realized we could actually finish what we had set out to do. I always dismissed this question as unanswerable and misleading. To some, I would say that I knew I would eventually finish the Tour Divide when I was all the way back in Montana. To others, I admitted that I wasn’t even sure when I made the final right turn sixty-five miles from the border. But if I am truly honest with myself, those minutes I spent sobbing on my way out of Grants stand apart as a defining moment of clarity.

As my tears began to slow and my gasps became softer, I pleaded an open prayer to entities I also felt were indefinable — to my inner strength, to my resolve, the desert, the open road and the powers that be. “Please be with me. Please stay with me. Please help me get through this.” Something about leaving Grants told me that, barring breakdown or disaster, I was going to finish the Tour Divide. Since I had no control over breakdown or disaster, I pleaded for help from anything that might.

The powers that be nodded benevolently and swept me along the smooth corridor of Highway 117. The rugged but sheer cliffs of El Malpais National Monument cast the pavement in cool shadow. After thirty-eight miles, the route joined the washboard ruts of a wide county road. The jittery corduroy soon faded into smooth but soft clay. The area had indeed been pummeled by thunderstorms the night before; blood-colored puddles glistened in the road’s many dips and potholes. As I rode, my wheels kicked up large clumps of red mud. Still, beneath the late morning sunlight, the mud had hardened just enough to roll into balls and fling away rather than stick to my bike.

“Think light, be light,” I chanted, as though sheer force of will could reduce my weight and keep my wheels floating over the jelly-like layers of mud. Atop a paper-thin veneer of solidified clay, I pedaled apprehensively but quickly, coming close to sinking into the soft mud that undulated beneath my tires, but never quite breaking through the dry layer. I smiled at the knowledge that if I had passed through the same area just a few hours earlier, I would have been mired in wet sludge. Every once in a while, the universe rewards late risers.

Just after 2 p.m., after covering nearly eighty miles in five and a half hours, I strode triumphantly into the open doors of the Pie-O-Neer café. The single-room restaurant was set up modestly with modern tables and old Western art. A guitarist and bassist strummed acoustic country ballads as couples chatted softly over heaping plates of pie. A woman wearing a ruffled apron rushed out from behind the counter and threw her arms around me in an enthusiastic hug. “You made it!” she exclaimed. “I can’t believe you made it!”

“I made it,” I said, smiling widely.

The guitarist had just finished a cover of Johnny Cash’s “Long Black Veil.” “So you’re Jill?” he asked. I nodded. “We did not think you’d make it here until late tonight,” he continued. “It rained all through the night last night, just poured. I knew that road was gone. I sometimes take my horses out there and I know how bad it can get. Even they can’t get through the mud sometimes. We thought you’d be stuck in it.”

“I thought so, too,” I said. “But it had hardened up in the sun. I got really lucky.”
“Well, anyway, congratulations on getting here from Grants in just a few hours. That’s some incredible riding.”

The woman in the apron nodded. “You should have seen Matt Lee when he came through. It was late but I let him in the door. It had been raining hard and Matt was covered in mud. He had this crazy look in his eyes and he just fell in the door mumbling, ‘I need food.’ I said, ‘I know you need food but you’re not coming in here until you clean off that mud.’ I practically had to push him back out the door. I thought, ‘This can’t be healthy.’”

I laughed. I was about to launch into my “Here in mid-pack, we have more fun” speech when she grabbed my shoulders and rushed me to a nearby table. “But you must be starving, riding all the way from Grants,” she said. “What do you want to eat?”

“Um, what do you have?” I asked.

“Well, we don’t have much. The menu’s over there on the wall.”

Before I even looked at it, I asked, “Do you have salad?”

“Well, I don’t have salad, but I have some spinach and tomatoes and other veggies in the fridge. Tell you what, I’ll make you one.”

“That would be awesome,” I said.

“And our special today is spinach quesadilla with fresh salsa. We also have a tomato vegetable soup.”

“Those sound amazing, too,” I interrupted. “I’ll have them both. And salad.”

“Do you want something to drink?”

“Um …” I wavered. I had already ordered three meals.

“Come on, the other Tour Divide guys were just knocking pops back faster than I could replenish them. What do you want?”

“Do you have Pepsi?” I asked.

“Of course,” she said.

“And you can’t leave here without trying a slice of pie,” she said.

“Of course I can’t.” I took a lingering look at the back wall, lined from end to end with towering desserts. “Um, I’ll try the coconut cream,” I finally said.

“Good choice,” she said. “That one won an award last month from a national magazine.”

As I waited for my mountain of fresh food, the guitarist asked me if I had any requests. I couldn’t think of many country tunes I even knew, so I requested more Johnny Cash —“Ring of Fire.” I imagined riding south toward the desert regions of the Great Divide as he sang, “I fell in to a burning ring of fire; I fell down, down, down and the flames went higher.”

As promised, the woman served up cans of Pepsi faster than I could knock them back, and brought me plate after plate of food, hot and fresh and brimming with all the real nutrition I had scarcely known in three weeks of a diet heavy on junk food from gas stations and greasy spoon diners. The woman asked me how my lunch was. “You have no idea how replenishing it is to eat healthy for a change,” I said. “If all Americans could feel this way after eating a spinach salad, McDonalds would go out of business. Which would be awesome, because then people like me could actually find healthy food to eat on the Great Divide.”

The woman laughed. She asked me about the trail prior to Grants and I told her about how surprisingly remote New Mexico had been. A man wearing a trucker’s cap turned from the next table over and launched into a stern warning about the dangers of New Mexico’s backcountry. “There are cougars out there that hunt people,” he said ominously. “I hope you have protection.”

I pointed to the can of bear spray I had been carrying since Canada and had never even come close to discharging, unless I counted the time I pointed it at the vicious dogs of Vallecitos. “I’m from Alaska,” I said. “So I’m well versed in the defense against predators thing.” I wanted to tell him that I was far more afraid of mud and lightning, of fatigue and bad judgment, of loneliness and fear itself, but it seemed pointless to argue about the most pressing dangers of the Divide.

I spent much longer in Pie Town than I had intended, basking in the warmth of small-town friendliness and scraping up the last remnants of whipped cream from my pie plate. I was so full that I had difficulty breathing normally, but couldn’t remember ever feeling more satisfied. I sat back in my wooden chair and listened to the country band croon about an unhurried life I had all but forgotten.

In the late afternoon, the woman in the apron and guys in the band walked outside to see me off. “It’s just about closing time and we’re all headed to the lake,” she said. “But you have a great ride, and don’t hesitate to come back when you’re through these parts again. Happy Independence Day!”

“You too,” I said, shaking all of their hands. “Thanks for making the best lunch in the entire span of the Rocky Mountains.”

I left Pie Town at 4 p.m. into a brand new day. I felt like I was just waking up from a restful sleep, even though I had already pedaled eighty miles that day. “Someday,” I thought, “I’m going to be a veteran of this race and people will ask me the secret to success. I’m going to answer, ‘human kindness.’"

The roller-coaster terrain crossed the Continental Divide twice. I pedaled past ranches until the valley narrowed into a canyon. Large, triangle-shaped mountains loomed over me once again. The remote road intersected with an abandoned town site, a centuries-old Spanish mission. I got off my bike and explored the eerie remnants of a slab and mortar church, peering into the cracks of boarded windows and gazing up at a hollow bell tower.

Just beyond the town site, I entered Gila National Forest. My maps informed me: “Camping OK next 14 miles.” I pedaled beneath gnarled and grand juniper trees, rose back into the ponderosa forest, and crested the Continental Divide once again at a spectacular overlook of the San Agustin Plains below. I could see thunderstorms building over the distant mountains beyond the valley. It was still early in the evening.

“If I don’t stop near here,” I thought, “I’ll have to pedal all the way through that valley before I’m back in a spot where I can camp.” But I was feeling too incredible to stop. I launched into a gleeful descent toward the darkening sky.

The Forest Service road bisected a remote state highway and crossed onto a country road sparsely lined with private ranches. An occasional ranch house broke the monotony of the sagebrush plains, but for the most part I was wholly alone in sweepingly open space. The wind blew briskly at my side, whipping around and changing directions intermittently as booms of thunder clattered across the desert.

The thunderstorm I had seen hanging over the horizon began to close in. The bulk of the storm seemed to be moving the same direction I was, but I was approaching the dark clouds faster than they were streaming away. I glanced over my shoulder and noticed another storm approaching from behind. Sheets of rain hung like curtains beneath the black ceiling, and frequent flashes of lightning tore through the darkness.

A primal sense of entrapment gripped my core. My heart pounded. I was pedaling in a tiny window of calm, chasing one violent storm even as another chased me. If I pedaled too quickly, I would catch the first storm. If I pedaled too slowly, I would be caught by the second storm. I shivered at the prospect of both scenarios, and vowed to do everything in my cycling power to hover in the hurricane’s eye.

Shortly after I made this decision, I heard a sickeningly loud zipping sound shoot out from the back of my bike. The rear tire became more and more bouncy and sluggish until I had no choice but to stop and deal with the flat. I had been using “Slime” inner tubes, which were filled with green sealant intended to block any punctures in the tube. They had worked beautifully for the duration of the Divide, and I had yet to spring a leak that wasn’t quickly blocked, requiring only a few refresher hits from my air pump. This was the first time a tire had gone completely flat. It was my rear tire, which required the loosening of the brake caliper before I could remove the wheel. A rear flat usually took me at least ten minutes to change when I was fresh, and as many as twenty when I was hurried and frustrated. I knew I did not have twenty minutes to spare before I would be caught directly beneath a barrage of lightning and rain. I did not even have five minutes.

“Be brave,” I chanted through gulping breaths as I hopped off the bike. “Be strong.”

A thick streak of green slime coated the down tube of the frame. I was sure all the sealant had leaked out and there was nothing left to fill the hole. But it was possible that I had just sprung a larger leak that took a while to clog. It seemed worth a try to pump up the tire rather than change the tube right away. The extra time it would take if it didn’t work wasn’t going to save me from the storm either way, but if that’s all it took, there was still a chance I could outrun the air strike.

I breathed in and out with every stroke of the air pump, continuing to chant, “Be brave. Be strong.” As I pumped, the sun slipped beneath the nearest mountains. The sky, already under siege, burst open in an explosion of crimson and gold light. The sudden blast of color reflected off the dark clouds in a contrast so bright that the entire sky shimmered. Where sunset’s saturated light met the sheets of rain, broad rainbows swept over the desert. I counted five rainbows at one point, arched in wide spans that framed the phosphorescent clouds. And beneath the rainbow stage, steaks of lightning performed a violent ballet.

The scene did nothing to reduce the panic gurgling in my gut. But from where I sat in my shrinking window of calm, trying my best to breathe to the rhythm of my air pump, I knew that I was witnessing a moment of powerful beauty — beauty that was more even powerful than fear. I briefly closed my eyes and tried to absorb the gaping awe, primal wonder and sheer terror that nature was unleashing before me. I felt like I was clinging to the precipice between heaven and hell, and if I happened to fall, no matter which direction I went, I would be wholly absorbed forever.

I snapped my eyes back open and injected a few last shots of air into the tire. It was still fairly soft, about eighteen pounds per square inch. But I didn’t hear any more of that terrible zipping sound, and I thought there was a decent change that it would hold the air. I hopped back on the saddle and spun wildly, trying to regain the distance I had lost on the second storm. I pedaled right into the heart of the largest, brightest rainbow and its undulating electric dangers. I was still fully aware that I was the tallest object for miles, on an open plain without even a sagebrush bush large enough to huddle behind. I briefly thought about veering off on a ranch road and sprinting one or two miles to the nearest structure in search of shelter, but I fought the urge. “Be brave,” I chanted. “Be strong.”

The spectacular light of the sunset lingered much longer than I even thought possible, as though it, like me, was afraid to fade into the darker regions of eternity. It didn’t take long to catch the aftermath of the first storm. The road was coated in wet mud and two-inch-deep puddles, but the sky overhead remained mercifully dry. The second storm slowed its advance and started to veer toward the east. As it changed its course, the front storm followed. My own route turned west and began climbing back into the mountains. When I reached the mouth of a canyon, I stopped one last time to look out over the plains of San Agustin. Sunset’s crimson and orange flames were almost snuffed out, except for thin, blood-colored streaks that still bordered the horizon. Lightning continued to pierce the purple twilight, followed closely by booms of thunder. As I watched the storm march east, I noticed tiny blue flashes of light erupting from the northern horizon. They confused me at first — they were too low to be lightning, but too large and sporadic to be light from a ranch house. I squinted and realized they were fireworks, exploding over a ranch at least twenty miles distant.

“Oh yeah,” I said out loud. “It’s the Fourth of July.” I paused to focus on the fireworks as tiny streams of blue light sparkled and then faded, over and over. All the while, flashes of lightning and booms of thunder nearly overwhelmed the tiny celebration.

“Why don’t they just look up and realize that the most spectacular show is going on in nature?” I wondered. Their efforts seemed so small and pathetic in a world that was so vast and so powerful. Humans were nothing out here, nothing at all.

Darkness encompassed me with the rising canyon. For a while I could still hear the thunder from a growing distance, and then only the wind and stillness. Rainwater coated the road and the air was moist and cool. The last tailing clouds from the storms were starting to break apart. A nearly full moon rose overhead, casting a ghostly glow on an assemblage of sandstone hoodoos that bent like petrified zombies in front of craggy cliffs. I rolled out my sleeping bag on the bare dirt beneath a cluster of ponderosa pines. Moonlight filtered through a canopy of needles. With what felt like a paltry sprinkling of effort and a heavy dose of grace, I had knocked out 140 miles in the fourteen hours behind me, with only 250 more to go.

“Thank you,” I said in continuation of my morning prayer. “That was a good day.”

Purchase signed copies of the book at this link.

Available on Amazon Kindle at this link.

Available in paperback from Amazon at this link.


  1. Yo Jill...I can't hardly wait to get a chance to read your new book...however, July is a 'bad' time for me having extra 'time'...(there's the matter of that little bike race every year that keeps me up late and getting up early almost every day).

    I love it that you're wearing your 'Fatty' jersey at the pie place. If you have the time, maybe you and Beat could swing thru Davis this weekend...gonna be a big whoop-do and a lot of Team Fatty is gonna be there for LIVESTRONG.

    I haven't even peeked at the book yet, I HOPE it has these same pics throughout...I can only live thru your eyes, seeing all this terrain as you continued this seemingly impossible journey all alone.

    The more I read about it the more incredible it becomes.

    Have a great week and stay cool!

  2. Wow great images. Im not a rider like you guys, but i do have a post this weds and fri of me taking a spin in the country on my Schwinn varsity in the Amish country side. I dont really do bike post but i do have 4 classic Schwinns, and i love to ride as well..... Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa

  3. I haven't ordered your book yet because I can't bear the thought of being done with it (and I know I will sit down and read it straight through once I get it)!

    Random and last second, but I will be in San Mateo tomorrow for several extra hours and was wondering if there's a hike you would recommend? (If only I could bring my bike!) I'll scour your blog in the airport to see if I can find something you've already mentioned.

  4. Makes me think of the song Be Bold...Be Strong... I am singing it in my head as I read this chapter. Can't wait for the book.

    Be bold, be strong for the Lord thy God is with thee.

    Be bold, be strong for the Lord thy God is with thee.

    Be not afraid. Do not be dismayed.

    Walking in faith and victory. Walking in faith and victory

    For the Lord thy God is with thee.


Feedback is always appreciated!